Saliva glands not functioning effectively is usually known as dry mouth, or xerostomia. Side effects of certain medications, smoking, a consequence of disease or treatment, stress, or nervousness may be some causes. To help you handle underlying medical conditions causing dry mouth, avoid tooth decay, and increase the flow of your saliva, Zonies-Holgado Dental Associates wants to give you the best knowledge to treat your dry mouth.
A change may be taken into consideration by your doctor or dentist if your dry mouth is a side effect from medicine or the result of a health-related condition. They may adjust the dosage or change your prescription. Saliva flow will be the focused on if these cannot be changed.
Although saliva is a natural mouth cleanser, you need to pay attention to your dental care by brushing twice daily, flossing every day, and visiting the dentist twice a year. You are more susceptible to tooth decay and gum disease without the proper saliva flow.
Artificial saliva products in the form of an over-the-counter rinse or a spray may be recommended by your dentist. Toothpastes, moisturizing gels, or mouthwashes specifically formed are also available. Ask your dentist which product is best for you.
Try some of the following to lessen or prevent dry mouth:
– Keep your mouth moist by drinking water frequently to wash away any food particles.
– Help increase saliva flow by chewing sugar-free candy, sugarless gum, and popsicles.
– Foods high in salt and sugar as well as drinks containing alcohol or caffeine are useful to avoid.
– Avoid mouthwashes containing alcohol or peroxide which can cause dryness in the mouth.
– Using a humidifier at night increases humidity in your home.
– Quit smoking is beneficial as well.
Zonies-Holgado Dental Associates want to assist you so you can receive the best treatment for dry mouth. Contact us at 856-429-4600 here in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, to find the best answer for you.